The comprehensive site regarding Johnny Depp and his music!
with Marilyn Manson at The Roxy in West Hollywood CA, October 31, 2014
This holiday season, please consider a donation to the Johnny's Angels 8th Annual Holiday Fundraiser!
Proceeds go to the Children's Hospice & Palliative Care Coalition, a favorite charity of Johnny's!
The fundraiser goes through December 31. Click the icon below to donate!
- December 20, 2014: Bill Carter's Kickstarter Campaign to
fund the pressing of his next album, Play On, has been successful! The album, which
has already been recorded, consists of 11 original songs written by
Bill and Ruth Carter, and performed mostly acoustically by Bill and
Gabe Rhodes. (Note that there is no participation by Johnny this
time). The album is expected to be released in the spring of 2015.
- December 15, 2014: Ryan
Adams has just announced his next 7" single, and it features Johnny!
From the sound of the description on Ryan's PaxAm page, Johnny participates on the songs No Shadow and It's In My Head. The single will ship on or about January 13, 2015.
- December 15, 2014: Remember, the Into The Woods soundtrack is released today! The Deluxe set is 2 CDs; there is also a 1 disc basic
version; the track listing has been revealed by Playbill. Johnny is featured on the song, Hello Little Girl, which can be previewed on Deppody's tumbler. The film
adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's musical will be released on Christmas
- December 2014: Here's
a lovely Holiday Surprise! Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry has
released a 4 song EP called Joe Perry's Merry Christmas on Bruce Witkin's Unison
label. Johnny is featured on rhythm guitar on Run Run Rudolph. The
EP contains 2 instrumentals and 2 songs with vocals by Perry. The
set is available on iTunes, which lists the release date as December 2,
or on CD from Unison.
- November 2014: Photographer
Mark Seliger, who has done many awesome photo shoots of Johnny, has
outdone himself this time! He has done a cover photoshoot for the
magazine, Details for the December 2014 issue, and the
magazine has provided an amazing YouTube
video of Johnny posing and playing guitar! He is playing a Dobro
and a Baratto Cigfiddle, and the end credits include a credit of "Music
by Johnny Depp & Ben Peeler." Peeler is a guitarist known for
his participation in The Mavericks and The Wallflowers, among other
- November 2014: The Showtime
Lost Songs: The
Basement Tapes Continued documentary
premiered on November 21, and will be re-aired several
times and is also available On Demand and on Showtime Anytime for
subscribers. The film is about newly discovered Bob Dylan lyrics from the
era of The
Basement Tapes (ca. 1967),
with artists Marcus Mumford, Elvis Costello, Rhiannon Giddens, Taylor Goldsmith and Jim James
composing and arranging the music to Dylan's lyrics. The resulting album, Lost On The
River: The New Basement Tapes
was released on November 11. Johnny plays guitar on the song
Kansas City and is featured very briefly in the film. In related
news, on November 13, Johnny
played with The New Basement Tapes at a private show at the Montalban Theatre in Hollywood, CA.
He played on 3 songs: Kansas City, Duncan And Jimmy, and Florida Key. Watch the YouTube videos of Duncan And Jimmy and Kansas City!
like Johnny Depp Rocks on Facebook!
Recent musical projects:
- November 13, 2014: private show at the Montalban Theatre in Hollywood CA, with The New Basement Tapes
- October 31, 2014: Roxy, West Hollywood CA, with Marilyn Manson
- September 18 and 19, 2014: Shepherd's Bush Empire, London, with Ryan Adams
- July 30, 2014: The Forum, Inglewood CA, with Aerosmith
- July 16, 2014: Comcast Center, Mansfield MA, with Aerosmith
Upcoming and possible musical projects:
- (Dec 2014) Into The Woods (Soundtrack).
Johnny plays the Wolf in the screen adaptation of the
Stephen Sondheim musical.
- (Dec 2014) Joe Perry: Joe Perry's Merry Christmas (EP).
This 4 song set features Johnny on rhythm guitar on Run Run Rudolph.
- (Nov 2014) Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes
This Showtime documentary is about the making of Lost On The River: The
New Basement Tapes.
- (Nov 2014) Lost On The River: The New Basement Tapes (Album). Johnny plays guitar on the song Kansas City.
- (Oct 2014) Paul McCartney: New (Collector's Edition CD/DVD set).
The re-release of Macca's 2013 album features two music videos that
Johnny participated in, Queenie Eye and Early Days, as well as their
- (Sept 2014) Ryan Adams: Ryan Adams (Album). Johnny contributes guitar on Kim, and guitar and vocals on Feels Like Fire.
- (Dec 2014) Into The Woods
Johnny plays the Wolf in the screen adaptation of the
Stephen Sondheim musical. The movie comes out on Christmas Day.
- (Jan 2015) Ryan Adams: No Shadow (7" single). Johnny participates on the songs No Shadow and It's In My Head.
- (Feb 2015) Butch Walker: Afraid Of Ghosts (Album).
Johnny will provide "vocal and instrumental love" on the album, which will be released on February 3.
- (Feb 2015) Bob Gruen: See Hear Yoko (Book).
Johnny's imprint Infinitum Nihil will publish this photobiopic about Yoko Ono.
- (2015?) Douglas Brinkley: The Unraveled Tales of Bob Dylan (Book). Johnny's imprint Infinitum Nihil will reportedly publish this Dylan biography in 2015, though no release date has been set.
- (2015?) Covers album project with Alice Cooper; Recording session with Alice Cooper, Joe Perry, and Paul McCartney. Robby Krieger reports
playing guitar for a "dead friends" covers album, which may
contain a song(s) honoring Krieger's former Doors bandmate Jim Morrison
and other dead rock stars. This may or may not include a
that Alice reported to have written with Johnny. Joe Perry mentions in an interview
that he did some recording with Johnny, Alice and Paul in the spring of
2014. He would not divulge what the project was, but it could be the same covers album project.
- (?) Keith
Richards Documentary (working title Happy).
Johnny is directing a documentary about Keith Richards; the
film has been in the works for about 4 years.
- (?) Song or songs for upcoming Shane MacGowan album with The Cronins. The Irish Independent and Johnny Cronin report that Johnny may guest on such an album.
- (?) Possible collaborations with: Steven Tyler, Marcus Mumford, and Ryan Adams
- (?) Friends Of The Viper Room
This film will focus on
the history of The Viper Room, which Johnny owned from 1993-2004.
is updated often, so please check back!
years ago, I published
my first few pages of Johnny Depp Rocks!
As a huge fan of Johnny Depp and also a longtime music
and collector, I had been investigating Johnny's musical background and
pursuits, but I grew frustrated when I saw so much false information on
the web and in print. I created this site as an attempt to
compile accurate information about Johnny's musical side: his
performances, recordings, and videos, as well as his friends in the
world of music, and share it freely with all his fans. While
design may be plain, I hope that the information presented here is as
accurate and reliable as it can possibly be. Many thanks to
those who have offered feedback or contributed information to help this
site to thrive. I always welcome any corrections, additions, or
suggestions, and hope that this site will continue to grow whenever
there may be more to add! Hope you enjoy!
-Cathy aka MadScntst, July
Addendum, 8 years on: after a bit of a performance lull in 2012, Johnny
has literally been rockin' all over the world this year, performing
live as far away as Beijing, China. He also continues to
contribute to recordings and music videos, with hopes of more projects
coming up for release soon. Here's hoping that
continue to pursue his musical interests in the coming year, and for
many years to come!
MadScntst, July 23, 2014
am always grateful for corrections or additions to any of the content
on this site! I would particularly love any photos or other
memorabilia from any of Johnny's live performances, past or present.
Please contact me if you can help!