The comprehensive site regarding Johnny Depp and his music!
with Aerosmith at the Comcast Center in Mansfield MA, July 16, 2014
- October 22, 2014: The cover of Entertainment Weekly's upcoming issue will feature Johnny as The Wolf in Into The Woods! EW also shares a production still
featuring The Wolf. This is our first full view of the
character-- a human (yet sinister) face, but with wolf ears, whiskers,
claws, and a tail. Love it!! There are also some additional
new stills at EW. UPDATE October 23: A featurette
has also been released on YouTube; in it, we see several more scenes
with Johnny as The Wolf, and a couple of remarks from Johnny behind the
scenes. Hopefully this is a sign that a new trailer will be
- October 10, 2014: Playbill announces the release date of the Into The Woods
Soundtrack: December 16, 2014. This is 9 days before the
Christmas release of the film. Johnny plays The Wolf in this
musical based on the Stephen Sondheim show. Thanks to Theresa at
the Zone for the heads-up!
- October 2014: Butch
Walker has announced that he will release a new album on February 3,
2015, and it will feature Johnny! Entitled Afraid Of Ghosts, the
album was recorded over a 4 day period at Ryan Adams' Pax-Am Studios,
with Adams serving as producer. Butch posted a photo on Instagram of himself and Johnny at the studio on August 30. Bob Mould will also appear on the album. Read the announcement on Butch's Facebook page, and an article in Rolling Stone.
- September 2014: Lucky Them was released on DVD on September 30. Johnny has a cameo as a former musician
in this film, which stars Toni Collette and Thomas Haden Church.
- September 2014: For
two nights in a row, Johnny performed with Ryan Adams at O2
Shepherd's Bush Empire. On the 18th, Johnny performed on Danzig's
Mother as well as Kim; on the 19th he reportedly played on Kim and I
You But I Don't Know What To Say. Johnny sported
his Mike Campbell Signature the second night; the first night it was a
Strat and a Tele that he possibly borrowed from Ryan. Thanks to
taip for the heads-up. Also, September 9 was the release day for Ryan Adams' self-titled album.
Johnny contributes guitar on Kim, and guitar and vocals on Feels
Like Fire. Previously, Johnny played guitar and took a solo
on Aching For More,
which is a non-album b-side to Ryan's first single, Gimme Something
- September 2014: Paul
McCartney will release a Collector's Edition of last year's album, New,
with a bonus CD and DVD. The DVD will feature two of the music
videos that Johnny participated in, Queenie Eye and Early Days, as well
as their respective making-of's, among other extras. Presumably this will include the Early Days jam session featuring Paul, Johnny, and several other blues
musicians running through several blues numbers. The set will be
released on October 28. More details can be found on Paul's Official Site.
- August 2014: Lost On The
River: The New Basement Tapes is now available for pre-order on their official site and at Amazon.com and will be released on November 11, 2014. The album
features songs using some newly discovered Bob Dylan lyrics from the
era of The
Basement Tapes (ca. 1967) that were thought to have been lost,
with artists including Elvis Costello, Marcus Mumford and others
composing and arranging the music to Dylan's lyrics. Johnny plays guitar on the song, Kansas City, according to Rolling Stone and NME. The Australian earlier confirmed Johnny's participation; Johnny reportedly filled in for Costello on a day that
Costello had a scheduling conflict and could not attend a recording
album is being offered in several different configurations such as
vinyl, digital, and basic and deluxe CDs, some with a fan poster
included. Internet Movie Database (IMDb) previously listed Johnny
among the participants of
an upcoming Showtime documentary that will accompany the album release,
Lost Songs: The
Basement Tapes Continued. His
name was subsequently taken off the cast list, but there is now good
reason to believe that he will be featured in the documentary after all. Thanks to Barbara for the Rolling Stone link!
like Johnny Depp Rocks on Facebook!
Recent musical projects:
- September 18 and 19, 2014: Shepherd's Bush Empire, London, with Ryan Adams
- July 30, 2014: The Forum, Inglewood CA, with Aerosmith
- July 16, 2014: Comcast Center, Mansfield MA, with Aerosmith
- June 17, 2014: Blue Hills Bank Pavilion, Boston MA, with Willie Nelson
- April 7, 2014: Jimmy Kimmel Live, LA
with Chuck E. Weiss
Upcoming and possible musical projects:
- (Sept 2014) Ryan Adams: Ryan Adams (Album). Johnny contributes guitar on Kim, and guitar and vocals on Feels Like Fire.
- (July 2014) Paul McCartney: Early Days
(Video). Johnny appears and plays guitar in
this music video from Macca's album, New.
- (July 2014) Ryan Adams: Aching For More (7" vinyl b-side). Johnny plays electric guitar and takes a guitar solo.
- (July 2014) Suzanne Allison: Gimme Shelter (Coffee Table Book). Johnny is in this book of celebrities and their pets, benefitting
animal rights causes. He poses with his guitar in some photos.
- (May-July 2014) Louise Goffin:
Songs From The Mine (Album). Johnny
provides handclaps and backing vocals on the song,
Watching The Sky Turn Blue.
- (May 2014) Lucky Them (Feature
Film). Johnny has a cameo as a former musician
in this film, which stars Toni Collette and Thomas Haden Church.
- (May 2014) Chuck E. Weiss: Boston
Blackie (Video). Johnny appears in animated form
in this music video drawn by Nate Merritt, and released by "Infinitum
- (April 2014) Chuck E. Weiss: Red
Beans And Weiss (Album). Johnny is an executive
producer and musician.
- (?) Keith
Richards Documentary (working title Happy).
Johnny is directing a documentary about Keith Richards; the
film has been in the works for about 4 years.
- (?) Song or songs for upcoming Shane MacGowan album with The Cronins. The Irish Independent and Johnny Cronin report that Johnny may guest on such an album.
- (?) Possible collaborations with: Steven Tyler, Marcus Mumford, and Ryan Adams
- (?) Friends Of The Viper Room
This film will focus on
the history of The Viper Room, which Johnny owned from 1993-2004.
- (2015?) Covers album project with Alice Cooper; Recording session with Alice Cooper, Joe Perry, and Paul McCartney. Robby Krieger reports
playing guitar for a "dead friends" covers album, which may
contain a song(s) honoring Krieger's former Doors bandmate Jim Morrison
and other dead rock stars. This may or may not include a
that Alice reported to have written with Johnny. Joe Perry mentions in an interview
that he did some recording with Johnny, Alice and Paul in the spring of
2014. He would not divulge what the project was, but it could be the same covers album project.
- (Feb 2015) Butch Walker: Afraid Of Ghosts (Album).
Johnny will provide "vocal and instrumental love" on the album.
- (Dec 2014) Into The Woods
(Feature Film and Soundtrack).
Johnny will play the Wolf in the screen adaptation of the
Stephen Sondheim musical.
- (Nov 2014) Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes
This film will be about the making of the album Lost On The River: The
New Basement Tapes. Johnny's participation unconfirmed.
- (Nov 2014) Lost On The River: The New Basement Tapes (Album). Johnny reportedly plays guitar on the song Kansas City. The album will be released on November 11.
- (Oct 2014) Paul McCartney: New (Collector's Edition CD/DVD set).
The re-release of Macca's 2013 album will feature two music videos that
Johnny participated in, Queenie Eye and Early Days, as well as their
respective making-of's. It will be released on October 27.
is updated often, so please check back!
years ago, I published
my first few pages of Johnny Depp Rocks!
As a huge fan of Johnny Depp and also a longtime music
and collector, I had been investigating Johnny's musical background and
pursuits, but I grew frustrated when I saw so much false information on
the web and in print. I created this site as an attempt to
compile accurate information about Johnny's musical side: his
performances, recordings, and videos, as well as his friends in the
world of music, and share it freely with all his fans. While
design may be plain, I hope that the information presented here is as
accurate and reliable as it can possibly be. Many thanks to
those who have offered feedback or contributed information to help this
site to thrive. I always welcome any corrections, additions, or
suggestions, and hope that this site will continue to grow whenever
there may be more to add! Hope you enjoy!
-Cathy aka MadScntst, July
Addendum, 8 years on: after a bit of a performance lull in 2012, Johnny
has literally been rockin' all over the world this year, performing
live as far away as Beijing, China. He also continues to
contribute to recordings and music videos, with hopes of more projects
coming up for release soon. Here's hoping that
continue to pursue his musical interests in the coming year, and for
many years to come!
MadScntst, July 23, 2014
am always grateful for corrections or additions to any of the content
on this site! I would particularly love any photos or other
memorabilia from any of Johnny's live performances, past or present.
Please contact me if you can help!