The comprehensive site regarding Johnny Depp and his music!
with Marilyn Manson at The Roxy in West Hollywood CA, October 31, 2014
- January 25, 2015: Johnny played
last night at the Imperial Ball in Anaheim, as part of
the NAMM Festival, joined by Alice Cooper, Joe Walsh, Bruce Witkin, Vee
Witkin, Joey Malone and others. Brown Sugar and I'm Eighteen were
among the songs performed. The Bayonets did an opening set.
Stay tuned for more information!
- January 15, 2015: Congratulations
to Into The Woods on its 3 Academy Award Nominations!! The film
was nominated for Best Supporting Actress (Meryl Streep), Costume
Design (Colleen Atwood), and Production Design (Dennis Gassner
(Production Design); Anna Pinnock (Set Decoration)). The Oscars
will be held on February 22nd.
- January 2015: Ryan
Adams' 7" vinyl single, No Shadow, which features Johnny, was
released on January 13. There is also a digital version
available on iTunes and Amazon. Johnny is a cowriter of the song
No Shadow, and performs on No Shadow and It's In My Head. The
single also contains a third song, Stoned Alone.
- December 2014-January 2015: The feature film Into The Woods
has now been released in the US! Johnny plays The Wolf, and sings
Hello Little Girl. The film made $27 million in its
first 2 days of release. As of January 25, the estimated domestic box office total is $121.8 million. The soundtrack was released on December 15. The Deluxe set is 2 CDs; there is also a 1 disc basic
version. The soundtrack is currently in the Top Twenty on the Billboard chart.
- December 2014: Here's
a lovely Holiday Surprise! Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry has
released a 4 song EP called Joe Perry's Merry Christmas on Bruce Witkin's Unison
label. Johnny is featured on rhythm guitar on Run Run Rudolph. The
EP contains 2 instrumentals and 2 songs with vocals by Perry. The
set is available on iTunes, which lists the release date as December 2,
or on CD from Unison.
like Johnny Depp Rocks on Facebook!
Recent musical projects:
- January 24, 2015: Duesenberg Imperial Ball with Alice Cooper, Joe Walsh, The Bayonets, and others.
- November 13, 2014: private show at the Montalban Theatre in Hollywood CA, with The New Basement Tapes
- October 31, 2014: Roxy, West Hollywood CA, with Marilyn Manson
- September 18 and 19, 2014: Shepherd's Bush Empire, London, with Ryan Adams
- July 16 and 30, 2014: Comcast Center, Mansfield MA and The Forum, Inglewood CA, with Aerosmith
Upcoming and possible musical projects:
- (Jan 2015) Ryan Adams: No Shadow (7" single). Johnny participates on the songs No Shadow and It's In My Head, and is a co-writer of No Shadow.
- (Dec 2014) Into The Woods
(Feature Film and Soundtrack).
Johnny plays the Wolf in the screen adaptation of the
Stephen Sondheim musical.
- (Dec 2014) Joe Perry: Joe Perry's Merry Christmas (EP and video). Johnny plays rhythm guitar on Run Run Rudolph. He also appears in animated form in the video for White Christmas.
- (Nov 2014) Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes
This Showtime documentary is about the making of Lost On The River: The
New Basement Tapes.
- (Nov 2014) Lost On The River: The New Basement Tapes (Album). Johnny plays guitar on the song Kansas City.
- (Oct 2014) Paul McCartney: New (Collector's Edition CD/DVD set).
The re-release of Macca's 2013 album features two music videos that
Johnny participated in, Queenie Eye and Early Days, as well as their
- (Sept 2014) Ryan Adams: Ryan Adams (Album). Johnny contributes guitar on Kim, and guitar and vocals on Feels Like Fire.
- (Feb 2015) Butch Walker: Afraid Of Ghosts (Album).
Johnny provides "vocal and instrumental love" on the album, which will be released on February 3.
- (Feb 2015) Bob Gruen: See Hear Yoko (Book).
Johnny's imprint Infinitum Nihil will publish this photobiopic about Yoko Ono on February 17.
- (2015?) Douglas Brinkley: The Unraveled Tales of Bob Dylan (Book). Johnny's imprint Infinitum Nihil will reportedly publish this Dylan biography in 2015.
- (2015?) Covers album project with Alice Cooper; Recording session with Alice Cooper, Joe Perry, and Paul McCartney. This project is a "dead friends" covers album, which may
contain a song(s) honoring dead rock stars. This may or may not include a
that Alice reported to have written with Johnny. The album is reportedly done, so stay tuned for word about a release.
- (?) Keith
Richards Documentary (working title Happy).
Johnny is directing a documentary about Keith Richards; the
film has been in the works for about 5 years.
- (?) Song or songs for upcoming Shane MacGowan album with The Cronins. The Irish Independent and Johnny Cronin report that Johnny may guest on such an album.
- (?) Possible collaborations with: Steven Tyler and Marcus Mumford
- (?) Friends Of The Viper Room
This film will focus on
the history of The Viper Room, which Johnny owned from 1993-2004.
is updated often, so please check back!
years ago, I published
my first few pages of Johnny Depp Rocks!
As a huge fan of Johnny Depp and also a longtime music
and collector, I had been investigating Johnny's musical background and
pursuits, but I grew frustrated when I saw so much false information on
the web and in print. I created this site as an attempt to
compile accurate information about Johnny's musical side: his
performances, recordings, and videos, as well as his friends in the
world of music, and share it freely with all his fans. While
design may be plain, I hope that the information presented here is as
accurate and reliable as it can possibly be. Many thanks to
those who have offered feedback or contributed information to help this
site to thrive. I always welcome any corrections, additions, or
suggestions, and hope that this site will continue to grow whenever
there may be more to add! Hope you enjoy!
-Cathy aka MadScntst, July
Addendum, 8 years on: after a bit of a performance lull in 2013, Johnny
has literally been rockin' all over the world this year, performing
live as far away as Beijing, China. He also continues to
contribute to recordings and music videos, with hopes of more projects
coming up for release soon. Here's hoping that
continue to pursue his musical interests in the coming year, and for
many years to come!
MadScntst, July 23, 2014
am always grateful for corrections or additions to any of the content
on this site! I would particularly love any photos or other
memorabilia from any of Johnny's live performances, past or present.
Please contact me if you can help!