The comprehensive site regarding Johnny Depp and his music!
with Marilyn Manson at The Roxy in West Hollywood CA, October 31, 2014
- November 25, 2014: Photographer
Mark Seliger, who has done many awesome photo shoots of Johnny, has
outdone himself this time! He has done a cover photoshoot for the
magazine, Details, presumably for the December 2014 issue, and the
magazine has provided an amazing YouTube
video of Johnny posing and playing guitar! He is playing a Dobro
and a Baratto Cigfiddle, and the end credits include a credit of "Music
by Johnny Depp & Ben Peeler." Peeler is a guitarist known for
his participation in The Mavericks and The Wallflowers, among other
- November 22, 2014: Entertainment Tonight has an exclusive "first look" featurette on Into The Woods, which features a brief clip of Johnny singing in the recording studio!
- November 22, 2014: The Showtime
Lost Songs: The
Basement Tapes Continueddocumentary
premiered last night, November 21, and will be re-aired several
times and is also available On Demand and on Showtime Anytime for
subscribers. The film is about newly discovered Bob Dylan lyrics from the
era of The
Basement Tapes (ca. 1967),
with artists Marcus Mumford, Elvis Costello, Rhiannon Giddens, Taylor Goldsmith and Jim James
composing and arranging the music to Dylan's lyrics. The resulting album, Lost On The
River: The New Basement Tapes
was released on November 11. Johnny plays guitar on the song
Kansas City and is featured very briefly in the film. In related
news, on November 13, Johnny
played with The New Basement Tapes at a private show at the Montalban Theatre in Hollywood, CA.
He played on 3 songs: Kansas City, Duncan And Jimmy, and Florida Key. Watch the YouTube videos of Duncan And Jimmy and Kansas City!
- November 2014: Rolling Stone
has a new stream of a song from Butch Walker's upcoming album, Afraid
Of Ghosts! Titled 21+, the song features Johnny on acoustic
guitar. The album will be released on February 3, 2015.
- November 2014: The track listing for the upcoming Into The Woods Deluxe Soundtrack has been revealed by Playbill.
The Deluxe set will be 2 CDs; there is also a 1 disc basic
version. Johnny is featured on the song, Hello Little Girl, which can be previewed on Deppody's tumbler.
The soundtrack will be released on December 15. The final trailer to the film was released on November 6. On the 5th, some awesome new character posters from Into The Woods were revealed on Moviefone
and other sites, including one of Johnny as The Wolf. The posters
are actually GIFs that show movement. A featurette
has also been released on YouTube. The film
adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's musical will be released on Christmas
- October 2014: Johnny
performed Halloween night with Marilyn Manson at the Roxy in West Hollywood!
He played on Beautiful People; check out the YouTube! Great to see Johnny continuing with his string of 2014 live stage appearances! Some footage from the show is also included in this video from The Show.
- October 2014: Paul
McCartney's Collector's Edition of last year's album, New,
with a bonus CD and DVD, was released on October 27. The DVD features two of the music
videos that Johnny participated in, Queenie Eye and Early Days, as well
as their respective making-of's, among other extras. More details can be found on Paul's Official Site.
- October 2014: Butch
Walker has announced that he will release a new album on February 3,
2015, and it will feature Johnny. Entitled Afraid Of Ghosts, the
album was recorded over a 4 day period at Ryan Adams' Pax-Am Studios,
with Adams serving as producer. Butch posted a photo on Instagram of himself and Johnny at the studio on August 30. Bob Mould will also appear on the album. Read the announcement on Butch's Facebook page, and an article in Rolling Stone. UPDATE:
In November, Butch announced that a 7" single, Chrissie Hynde, will be
released in January; preorders sold out immediately. There is no
word yet on whether Johnny participates on Chrissie Hynde or its
b-side, Growing Up (Don't Let Me Down).
like Johnny Depp Rocks on Facebook!
Recent musical projects:
- November 13, 2014: private show at the Montalban Theatre in Hollywood CA, with The New Basement Tapes
- October 31, 2014: Roxy, West Hollywood CA, with Marilyn Manson
- September 18 and 19, 2014: Shepherd's Bush Empire, London, with Ryan Adams
- July 30, 2014: The Forum, Inglewood CA, with Aerosmith
- July 16, 2014: Comcast Center, Mansfield MA, with Aerosmith
- June 17, 2014: Blue Hills Bank Pavilion, Boston MA, with Willie Nelson
- April 7, 2014: Jimmy Kimmel Live, LA
with Chuck E. Weiss
Upcoming and possible musical projects:
- (Nov 2014) Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes
This Showtime documentary is about the making of Lost On The River: The
New Basement Tapes.
- (Nov 2014) Lost On The River: The New Basement Tapes (Album). Johnny plays guitar on the song Kansas City.
- (Oct 2014) Paul McCartney: New (Collector's Edition CD/DVD set).
The re-release of Macca's 2013 album features two music videos that
Johnny participated in, Queenie Eye and Early Days, as well as their
- (Sept 2014) Ryan Adams: Ryan Adams (Album). Johnny contributes guitar on Kim, and guitar and vocals on Feels Like Fire.
- (July 2014) Paul McCartney: Early Days
(Video). Johnny appears and plays guitar in
this music video from Macca's album, New.
- (July 2014) Ryan Adams: Aching For More (7" vinyl b-side). Johnny plays electric guitar and takes a guitar solo.
- (July 2014) Suzanne Allison: Gimme Shelter (Coffee Table Book). Johnny is in this book of celebrities and their pets, benefitting
animal rights causes. He poses with his guitar in some photos.
- (May-July 2014) Louise Goffin:
Songs From The Mine (Album). Johnny
provides handclaps and backing vocals on the song,
Watching The Sky Turn Blue.
- (Dec 2014) Into The Woods (Soundtrack).
Johnny will play the Wolf in the screen adaptation of the
Stephen Sondheim musical. The soundtrack will be released on December 15.
- (Dec 2014) Into The Woods
Johnny will play the Wolf in the screen adaptation of the
Stephen Sondheim musical. The movie comes out on Christmas Day.
- (Feb 2015) Butch Walker: Afraid Of Ghosts (Album).
Johnny will provide "vocal and instrumental love" on the album, which will be released on February 3.
- (2015?) Covers album project with Alice Cooper; Recording session with Alice Cooper, Joe Perry, and Paul McCartney. Robby Krieger reports
playing guitar for a "dead friends" covers album, which may
contain a song(s) honoring Krieger's former Doors bandmate Jim Morrison
and other dead rock stars. This may or may not include a
that Alice reported to have written with Johnny. Joe Perry mentions in an interview
that he did some recording with Johnny, Alice and Paul in the spring of
2014. He would not divulge what the project was, but it could be the same covers album project.
- (?) Keith
Richards Documentary (working title Happy).
Johnny is directing a documentary about Keith Richards; the
film has been in the works for about 4 years.
- (?) Song or songs for upcoming Shane MacGowan album with The Cronins. The Irish Independent and Johnny Cronin report that Johnny may guest on such an album.
- (?) Possible collaborations with: Steven Tyler, Marcus Mumford, and Ryan Adams
- (?) Friends Of The Viper Room
This film will focus on
the history of The Viper Room, which Johnny owned from 1993-2004.
is updated often, so please check back!
years ago, I published
my first few pages of Johnny Depp Rocks!
As a huge fan of Johnny Depp and also a longtime music
and collector, I had been investigating Johnny's musical background and
pursuits, but I grew frustrated when I saw so much false information on
the web and in print. I created this site as an attempt to
compile accurate information about Johnny's musical side: his
performances, recordings, and videos, as well as his friends in the
world of music, and share it freely with all his fans. While
design may be plain, I hope that the information presented here is as
accurate and reliable as it can possibly be. Many thanks to
those who have offered feedback or contributed information to help this
site to thrive. I always welcome any corrections, additions, or
suggestions, and hope that this site will continue to grow whenever
there may be more to add! Hope you enjoy!
-Cathy aka MadScntst, July
Addendum, 8 years on: after a bit of a performance lull in 2012, Johnny
has literally been rockin' all over the world this year, performing
live as far away as Beijing, China. He also continues to
contribute to recordings and music videos, with hopes of more projects
coming up for release soon. Here's hoping that
continue to pursue his musical interests in the coming year, and for
many years to come!
MadScntst, July 23, 2014
am always grateful for corrections or additions to any of the content
on this site! I would particularly love any photos or other
memorabilia from any of Johnny's live performances, past or present.
Please contact me if you can help!